George Steck established his firm of George Steck & Company in 1857. The first factory was located at 12th Street & 3rd Avenue in New York City. George Steck primarily built square grand pianos during these first few years, and his pianos quickly gained praise and popularity around the country. The firm quickly grew and moved to larger factories on Walker Street in 1859.
During the 1860s through the 1880s, George Steck offered a full line of square pianos, upright pianos and grand pianos. Mr. Steck personally introduced a number of innovations and improved designs with a focus of producing the finest instruments possible. By the 1890s, Steck had began to phase out square grand pianos and add more upright and grand pianos to the product line.
George Steck died in 1897 at which time the firm was incorporated by the remaining management and officers. George Steck & Co. was sold to the large Aeolian Piano Company in 1904, and Aeolian allowed the firm to continue to build George Steck brand pianos with the same quality and craftsmanship. Under Aeolian’s ownership and guidance, the Steck firm provided one of the largest selections of upright player pianos and reproducing baby grand player pianos in the industry up until the Great Depression. In 1932, the firm was absorbed into the large Aeolian-American Corporation, and the George Steck brand name continued to be a staple brand name of Aeolien for several decades. Aeolian continued to build the George Steck name until Aeolian closed in the 1980s. Today, the George Steck name is once again being produced in Asian-import pianos.