Krakauer Brothers was founded in 1869 by Simon Krakauer, his son David and his brother Julius in New York City. Krakauer was well known for building superior quality pianos in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. In fact, common thought amoung rebuilders today is that Krakauer pianos were built as well as top brand names like Steinway and Chickering because it is evident that a great deal of thought and effort when into their design and construction.
In 1917 Krakauer incorporated the Madison Piano Company, building Madison brand of pianos for several decades. Because of their superior quality among discriminating pianists, Krakauer Brothers was one of the few American Piano Companies to survive the Great Depression without being absorbed into a larger conglomerate like Aeolian-American, etc. Krakauer continued to build pianos until 1980 when it was sold to the Kimball Piano Company, although Kimball did produce the Krakauer name for a few years before Kimball went out of business in the late 1980s.
Krakauer pianos are some of the most well made instruments we see come through our shop today, and they are highly recommended.