Henry C. Kroeger was born in Germany in 1827, and began apprenticing for a German piano maker by the age of 15. Kroeger worked for several illustrious piano makers in Hamburg before migrating to the United States in 1852. Kroeger is first listed as building pianos in Stamford, CT in 1852, before moving to New York City in 1855. In 1855 Kroeger worked as one of the main designers and builders at the Steinway & Sons Piano Company, remaining there in a very important capacity until 1879. In 1880 Henry Kroeger went into partnership with his son, Henry Kroeger Jr., forming the firm of 'Kroeger & Son'. In 1885, the firm became 'Kroeger & Sons' when Henry's second son, Otto, joined the firm.
Kroeger & Sons was also associated with P. J. Gildemeester, and pianos built in partnership with P.J. Gildemeester and were labeled as both 'Gildemeester' and 'Gildemeester & Kroeger'. Just before the Great Depression era, Kroeger was taken over by industrial giant Kohler & Campbell. Kohler & Campbell continued to build the Kroeger name well into the 1950's era. Instruments built by Kroeger and Gildemeester & Kroeger were of exceptional quality and design.
Kroeger Piano Catalog
Illustrated Kroeger Piano Sales Catalog, Circa 1906
Gildemeester & Kroeger Article
19th Century Article Regarding Gildemeester & Kroeger Piano Company
Gildemeester & Kroeger Sales Advertisement
Late 19th Century sales advertisement from the Gildemeester & Kroeger Piano Company
Kroeger Mahogany Upright Piano
1911 | $9,500
Gildemeester & Kroeger Victorian Grand Piano
1897 | $20,000