Kelso & Company
(ALSO SEE KRAMER PIANO COMPANY) The small but successful firm of Kelso & Company established by Sears. R. Kelso, Sr. in New York in 1891. Records show the first factor was located at 16 Horatio Street, New York City. By 1920, the firm had grown to occupy several blocks of West 140th Street in New York City.
Kelso & Company started by building upright pianos, but soon added player pianos and baby grand pianos to their product line. In addition to the “Kelso” brand name, the firm also built pianos under the “Kramer” and “Kewpie” labels.
Instruments by Kelso & Co. were known to be durable, well-made pianos of moderate cost. Instruments by Kelso & Co. are a bit rare today; we actually see more instruments with the “Kramer” brand, indicating that most of their instruments were likely built under the Kramer Piano Company label.
Kelso & Co. appears to have gone out of business around 1930 with the onset of the Great Depression.