The Davenport-Treacy Piano Company was established in New York in 1868 by John Davenport and Daniel F. Treacy. At first the firm was based around a substantial foundry, and they were a major supplier of piano plates (harps) and miscellaneous hardware to the industry. They began building pianos under their own name shortly after 1870, and they enjoyed much success. In addition to the Davenport Treacy brand name, the firm also built pianos under the 'Carter' brand name. The firm was reorganized in 1925, with new factories located at West 51st Street, New York City. Davenport Treacy built pianos until 1957, at which time the Davenport Treacy name was purchased by Kohler & Campbell.