The Chase-Hackley Piano Company was originally established as Chase Brothers in 1863 by Milo J. Chase. The first factory was located in Grand Rapids, Michigan, before moving to Muskegon in the 1890's. In 1899, the company was reorganized as the Chase-Hackley Piano Company. The company enjoyed a very good reputation, and their instruments were known to be durable and of very good quality. In addition to building pianos under the Chase Brothers brand name, the firm built pianos under the names of Chase, Hackley, Chase-Hackley, Carlisle, Boltwood and Exceltone. The Chase-Hackley Piano Company went out of business in 1930 with the onset of the Great Depression.