Thomas H. Chambers was one of the more popular piano makers of the 19th Century. Chambers is listed as making pianos as early as 1835 and his first workshop is listed at 31 Crosby Street, New York City. In addition to building pianos, Chambers was a music publisher/dealer in his early years. In 1836, Chambers went into partnership with William Dubois and George Bacon to form the firm of Dubois, Bacon & Chambers. Dubois, Bacon & Chambers was dissolved in about 1840. In about 1841 Chambers went to work for the Dubois & Stodart Piano Company of New York. In 1863, Chambers went into partnership with Emil Gabler to establish the firm of Chambers & Gabler. The firm of Chambers & Gabler was dissolved in 1866, and Chambers continued building pianos under his own name throughout the 1860s. In 1870, Chambers admitted his son into his firm, establishing it as Chambers & Son. Chambers & Son went out of business in about 1879.