The Behning Piano Company was established by Henry Behning in 1861 in New York. The first factory was located at 57 East 128th Street, with factories expanding to East 133rd Street in the 1920's. From about 1864 â 1878, Behning was in partnership with Mr. Albrecht Klix and Mr. Justus Diehl. In 1881, Behning took his son Henry Jr. into partnership, changing the name of the firm to Behning & Son. Behning was known for building high quality, expensive pianos and they enjoyed a great deal of success. By 1931 the firm was owned by Gustav Behning, younger son of Henry Sr. In 1932, the firm was sold to Kohler & Campbell due to the hardships incurred by the Great Depression. Kohler & Campbell continued to build pianos under the Behning name until the middle 1950's.