Much of the following information was provided by Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice. To view the complete article about the Doylemarx story which includes bios and rare photos, please visit this link: http://www.joycetice.com/business/doylemarx.htm
Mr. D. S. Andrus originally established himself as a musical instrument retailer in 1860 in Williamsport, PA. Mr. Andrus enjoyed great success, ultimately expanding and moving the firm to Elmira, NY. Mr. D. S. Andrus died in 1883 at which time his heirs took control of the firm and reorganized as “D. S. Andrus & Company”. Mr. Doyle Marks gained control of the firm shortly after the turn-of-the-century.
In 1904, Mr. Doyle Marks introduced a line of pianos built to his own specifications and designed to meet the need for a quality instrument at a low cost. With it came the trade name “Doylemarx“. The pianos, both uprights and grands, were manufactured in New York City, under the supervision of Julius Winter, and were distributed from Elmira throughout the country. In 1914, the firm’s name was officially changed from “D. S. Andrus & Company” to “M. Doyle Marks Company”.
Also in 1904, Mr. Marks began to extend his field of operations by setting up branch stores. In rapid succession, establishments were opened in Galeton, Pa., Tory, Pa., Sayre, Pa., Ithaca, N.Y., Painted Post, N.Y., and Addison, N.Y.; and, subsequently, locations were made in Towanda, Pa., and Corning, N.Y., and on Langdon Plaza, Elmira. After 1925, because of changed business conditions, Mr. Marks found it advantageous to discontinue these stores and to employ field representatives in their place. On September 9, 1945, the Langdon Plaza store, last of the branch stores, was closed, and the entire business was concentrated at 309 East Water Street once more.
From 1904 until 1930 when Mr. Winter died and production was discontinued, thousands of Doylemarx pianos were sold in forty-four states. Even today, a large number of these pianos are still in daily use and in high favor.
Can you find your instrument listed in these antique catalogs?