The Woodward & Brown Piano Company was established in Boston in 1843 by Isaac Woodward & Brown. Their first factory was located at 293 Washington Street, but due to their great success they continued to expand and moved to 387 Washington Street in 1860. In 1885, the firm moved again to larger factories at 175 Washington then yet again in 1895 to 200 Tremont Street. The firm was known for building extremely high quality square grand pianos during the 19th Century, with a handful of upright models also available in the 1870's. Woodward & Brown was known for building extremely high quality, expensive pianos, and they were well respected in the industry. There is no mention of the firm after the turn-of-the-century, indicating that they went out of business before 1900.