The Western Cottage Piano & Organ Company was originally established as The Western Cottage Organ Company in Ottawa, Illinois in 1865. The firm first built a full line of reed organs and melodeons, but started adding pianos to their product line as the turn-of-the-century came close. Both pianos and organs were sold under the 'Western Cottage Piano & Organ' brand name. Shortly before 1900, the firm introduced the 'Merrifield' line of pianos, a good quality, medium priced piano that was modestly successful. Instruments by the firm were known to be well made and the firm enjoyed a very good reputation for building higher caliber instruments. With the decline of the organs popularity after 1900, the firm found itself in financial difficulty and went out of business in 1916.