Joseph Teufel was a very small piano maker in New York City during the 1850s and 1860s. Teufel went into partnership with Henry Dierkes in 1854, forming the firm of Teufel & Dierkes. This partnership was short lived, and Teufel is listed as building pianos under his own name again by 1856. Teufel built primarily square grand pianos, and his firm was listed first at 89 Mercer Street, then at 100 Centre Street by 1865. Joseph Teufel continued building pianos well into the 1870s, but appears to have been out of business before 1880. Pianos by Joseph Teufel are exceedingly rare today.