The Straube Piano Company was established in 1878 in Hammond, Indiana. Their factories were located at South Wabash Avenue. During the late 19th Century era, the firm produced a line of parlor organs as well as upright and grand pianos, and their instruments were known to be of very high quality. Their organs were discontinued in the first decade of the 20th Century with all concentration directed toward piano manufacturing. The Straube Piano Company was a larger manufacturer, and they built several different brand names including Straube, Hammond, Gilmore, and Woodward. Straube was one of the few American piano manufacturers to survive the Great Depression independently of merging with a larger conglomerate, which was a result of both their savvy business dealings and ability to offer a high quality instrument at an affordable price to the general public. The Straube Piano Company built better quality pianos until going out of business around 1950.