Charles A. Sterling organized the Sterling Piano Company in Derby, Connecticut in 1866. In the early years, Sterling produced both pianos and organs, but ceased organ production in favor of the more popular piano after the first couple of decades in business. The Sterling Piano Company built several different piano names including Mendelssohn, Huntington, Goetz & Co., Richardson and Lohmann. After the Great Depression, Sterling merged with the Winter Piano Company, and the Sterling name was produced until the 1960s.