(Not to be confused with the late 20th Century modern brand of "Schaeffer & Sons")
The Schaeffer Piano Manufacturing Company was established in New York by William Schaeffer in 1873. The firm enjoyed much success early on, and in 1888 the firm moved to larger factories in Chicago. Late 19th Century records show The Schaeffer Piano Manufacturing Company at 213 Wabash Avenue, Chicago. Schaeffer’s high-volume production facility allowed the company to build a large number of good quality pianos during the ‘teens and ‘twenties era. Schaeffer sold many of their instruments “wholesale” to other piano dealers who then sold the instruments under their own private label brand names.
In the 1920’s, Schaeffer was purchased by the W. F. Frederick’s Music House then later by the large Price & Teeple Piano Company. The Schaeffer name appears to have been discontinued about 1931 due to the Great Depression.
We have had a number of Schaeffer pianos come through our restoration shop over the years. We find them to be very solid, well made instruments overall.