The Russell Piano Company was the successor to the Stark & Strack Piano Company of Chicago. Established around 1890 by Charles C. Russell, the firm was producing up to 20 pianos a week by 1895. The firm had a very good reputation for building high quality pianos, and they were known for their craftsmanship and excellent tone quality. By 1900, the firm built a large, new 8 story factory at 249 South Jefferson Street, Chicago, and they had the capacity to produce up to 100 pianos a week! Like most American manufacturers, the Russell Piano Company was out of business with the Great Depression.