John Ihne was a well respected building of high quality pianos in New York City during the middle to late 19th Century. Ihne began building instruments in 1857 at 11 Crosby Street. In 1864, he admitted his son, John Ihne, Jr., into the firm, chaning the name of the company to 'Ihne & Son'. Ihne & Son specialized in building better quality square grand pianos and possibly melodeons, and were able to build a fairly impressive number of instruments for such a small firm â however, instruments by Ihne are extremely rare today. There is no further mention of Ihne & Son after about 1873, indicating that the firm was likely out of business before 1875.