Andrew and Joseph Gassin were both very active in the piano industry in the 19th Century. It is not clear whether the two were cousins or brothers, but they did share several addresses throughout their careers. Both Andrew and Joseph Gassin are listed as early as 1832 with their workshop located at 95 Crosby Street, New York City. They moved to a larger workshop at 94 Wooster Street in the late 1830s â early 1840s era. Both Andrew and Joseph specialized in building square pianos, and possibly melodeons, but they were also retailers of instruments built by other makers. The pair built instruments under each of their names, and enjoyed modest success throughout their careers. Each is listed as manufacturing pianos as late as 1870, but there is no mention of either Andrew or Joseph Gassin after about 1871.