The E.P. Carpenter & Company was originally established as Burditt & Carpenter in 1851, but by 1852 Burditt withdrew and the firm was renamed E.P. Carpenter & Company. The firm was located in Brattleboro, Vermont, then later moved to Worcester, Massachusetts. Carpenter worked closely with Estey, Woods and others, and was known for building very high quality organs and melodeons. Carpenter was highly successful, and built organs and melodeons until the last part of the 19th Century. Today, instruments by E.P. Carpenter & Company are considered to be some of the finest organs and melodeons built in the 19th Century.