Boardman & Gray
Established in 1837 by William Boardman and James Gray, the Boardman & Gray Piano Company built expensive, high quality pianos in Albany, New York. The firm specialized in square grand pianos during the 19th Century, slowly incorporating upright and grand pianos by the Civil War era. By the later part of the 19th Century, Boardman & Gray was controlled by the illustrious McCammon Piano Company of Albany, and their affiliation lasted until McCammon was purchased by William Tonk in about 1910. Although the firm built pianos for nearly a century, Boardman & Gray pianos are a bit rare today. The few we have restored have been exceptionally well made pianos with an obvious emphasis on craftsmanship. Boardman & Gray also built the "Stuart" brand piano in the early 20th Century era. Although archives suggest that Boardman & Gray went out of business with the Great Depression, we have seen some evidence of Boardman & Gray pianos being produced as late as the World World 2 era.