Andrew V.T. Barberie and Edward Bloomfield started the firm of Barberie & Bloomfield in about 1858 in New York City. The partners originally started out making piano keys and action parts for the industry, but soon started manufacturing their own line of instruments. The firm exhibited a piano at the American Institute Fair in 1859 which was awarded with a premium medal for overall quality and tone. In 1863, Bloomfield left the firm to build instruments under his own name. The Barberie & Bloomfield name was discontinued by about 1865. Instruments by Barberie & Bloomfield are exceedingly rare today, and deserve the finest restoration available.