Instruments sold under the label of "Baltimore Piano Factory" were manufactured by the firm of John Wise & Brother during the later half of the 19th Century. John J. Wise established his piano manufacturing firm in Baltimore, Maryland in 1829, and he built a small number of square grand pianos and melodeons that were known to be of very good quality. In 1860, the name of the firm was changed to J. J. Wise & Brother, and instruments were built under the name of 'J. J. Wise & Brother', 'John Wise & Brother', and 'Baltimore Piano Factory'. During the 1860s, the firm is listed at 31 Hanover Street. The company went out of business in 1877, and their instruments are exceedingly rare today.