H. W. Alleger established his first firm of 'H.M. Alleger & Company' in 1869 in Washington, New Jersey. Alleger was known for building very well made elaborate organs and melodeons, and his firm quickly became quite successful. In the early 1870s, Alleger took Mr. C.P. Bowlby and Mr. Edward Plotts into partnership, and the name of the firm was changed to 'Alleger, Bowlby & Company'. By the late 1870s, the name of the firm had been changed again to 'Alleger, Bowlby & Plotts'. The firm built pianos, organs and melodeons under the names of 'Alleger', 'Alleger, Bowlby & Company', 'Alleger, Bowlby & Plotts', as well as 'Starr' and 'Acme' organs. The firm went out of business in about 1884, and Mr. Alleger continued building a limited number of pianos under his own name until the turn-of-the-century.