In our archives, we find George Woods first listed in Pittsfield, New Hampshire in about 1850. By 1853, George Woods was making Melodeons at 137½ Hanover Street in Boston. That same year, Woods became a partner in Jones, Carpenter & Woods in Brattleboro, Vermont. In 1856, Woods left the partnership of Jones, Carpenter & Woods and returned to Boston as an independent builder of organs and melodeons. In 1862 George Woods is also listed as a factory foreman for the illustrious Mason & Hamlin firm. Shortly thereafter, he firmed George Woods & Company, building melodeons, organs, and pianos. His factory was listed at Cambridgeport, MA, and his offices were on Washington Street in Boston. In 1883, George Woods & Company was so successful that in 1883 they opened a second set of offices and warerooms at 423 Broome Street in New York City. There seems to be no mention of George Woods & Company after the turn of the 20th Century.
Today, we find instruments by George Woods & Company to be a bit rare, especially their pianos, indicating that they were expensive and sold in modest numbers. Instruments by George Woods are uniquely designed and incredibly well made instruments which are definitely worth restoration and preservation.