The F.O. Wilder Company was established sometime around 1850-1855. His factory and warerooms were located on Mason Street in Polo, Illinois. Wilder started out in the music publishing business, then soon started building his own square pianos, melodeons, and harmoniums. The firm was a small-scale manufacturer, and they never produced instruments in great volume. Instruments by F.O. Wilder are exceedingly rare and of museum caliber today. There is no mention of the firm after about 1870.