The Whitman Piano Manufacturing Company, Inc., was owned and controlled by the Wedig-Henkelman Corporation of New York. Founded in 1880 by Peter Weydig (President) and George Henkelman (Vice President), the firm was first located at 133rd & Brown Place, New York City. By the 1920s the firm was located at 402-410 West 14th Street, New York City. The firm built good quality yet affordable pianos under the brand names of Weydig-Henkelman, Whitman, Becker & Sons, and Radi-O-Player, a player piano equipped with a large radio built into the upper portion of the cabinet. Ironically, with the increasing popularity of the radio and phonograph taking place of the American piano market for home entertainment, Whitman/Wedig-Henkelman went out of business in 1926.