Daniel Walker immigrated to New York City from England sometime around 1820. In about 1828, Walker was listed as being in partnership with his father-in-law William Geib, operating under the name of Geib & Walker. The firm was a larger retailer of musical instruments and sheet music, and they also manufactured pianos.
John Walker, brother of Daniel, also worked with the firm for several years throughout the 19th Century.
Gieb & Walker was dissolved sometime around 1843, and brothers Daniel & John Walker formed the firm of J & D Walker. J & D Walker was fairly successful, building quality instrument, until sometime around 1871 when Daniel Walker died. After the death of Daniel Walker, the firm was reorganized as Walker Brothers, which continued building instruments well up until the turn-of-the-century.
Daniel Walker is fondly remembered as one of the original founders of the New York Philharmonic.