John F. Wake was one of the more colorful and active piano makers of the 19th Century. John Wake was a piano dealer, maker of piano parts & hardware, and also a piano manufacturer. Wake is listed as making pianos in New York City as early as 1838. In 1839, Wake went into partnership with Robert Glenn, forming the firm of Wake & Glenn. The partnership lasted until about 1842. In 1846, Wake joined John Myer and Hiram Herrick, forming the firm Wake, Myer & Herrick. This partnership was also short lived, as Wake left this partnership in 1847. In 1853, Wake reestablished his firm as Wake & Company, and continued to build pianos for several years. There is no mention of Wake & Company after the onset of the Civil War, indicating that the firm went out of business in the 1860s.