The Van Dyke Piano Company was established in 1880 in Scranton, PA. The firm started out building a full line of upright and grand pianos, and after the turn-of-the-century, added player pianos to their line. Van Dyke instruments were very popular in schools and churches because of their durability and affordability. Their instruments were exceedingly well made. In about 1900, the Van Dyke firm was purchased by Keller Brothers Piano Company. Keller Brothers continued to build pianos under the Van Dyke name until they went out of business during the Great Depression.