The Marchal & Smith Piano Company was established in New York in 1859. In the early years, Marchal & Smith built a line of square grand pianos, parlor organs, and chapel organs. under the "University" brand name. The firm gradually integrated into building upright pianos and grand pianos in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries. There is no mention of Marchal & Smith after the 1920's era, indicating that they went out of business before the Great Depression. The few extant Marchal & Smith pianos we have restored in our shop have consistently shown to be of very good quality.