Otto Torp was a renowned piano maker from the 19th Century, and was involved in several different partnerships over the years. Otto Torp was first listed as a music professor in about 1832, and also as a music store owner and instrument retailer. In 1834, Torp went into his first partnership with a gentleman by the name of Viereck, with their shop located at 465 Broadway, New York City. That first partnership was short lived, and Torp entered into his second partnership with James Love in 1836, establishing the firm of Torp & Love. Torp & Love exhibited one of their instruments at the American Institute Fair in 1836, and proudly came away with a gold medal for quality and craftsmanship. That first piano exhibited was listed for sale for $500 in 1836! In 1838, Torp entered into a third partnership, this time with Ferdinand Unger, establishing the firm of Torp & Unger. Torp & Unger only lasted a couple of years, and was dissolved by 1840. There is no mention of Torp manufacturing pianos after about 1840, but it is suggested that he went on to become a successful music publisher and instrument dealer. A square piano by Torp & Unger is now in the collection of the Smithsonian Institute.