The Thompson Piano Company was established in Chicago in 1870. The original factory was located at 1136 West 14th Street. The firm originally built high quality square pianos, upright pianos, and reed organs. By the turn of the century, Thompson was absorbed into the larger Steger Piano Company of Steger, Ill. Based on surviving instruments, it appears that the majority of instruments built under the Thompson label after the turn of the century were primarily upright and player pianos. Instrument built by Thompson prior to the Steger merge are exceedingly rare today. Steger continued pianos under the Thompson name as well as Artemis and Cassell brand player pianos until sometime around the Great Depression. We find instruments built in association with the Steger Piano Company to be very well made instruments of excellent quality and craftsmanship.