Francis Taylor began building pianos in New York City sometime around 1850. Taylor started out building a limited number of square pianos on a very small scale, and had a reputation of fine craftsmanship. In about 1858, Taylor was sharing a workshop with William Senior, piano maker. In 1859, Taylor went into partnership with Guitan Dupuy, forming the firm of Taylor & Dupuy. By 1870, Taylor & Dupuy was producing about 50 pianos annually. Taylor & Dupuy enjoyed several years of success, and the partnership lasted until about 1881. In 1882, Taylor admitted his son into partnership, forming the firm of Taylor & Son. Taylor & Son continued to build pianos and melodeons until the late 1890s.