Symphony Organ (Wilcox & White)
They 'Symphony' Organ is a very rare and early model of self-playing reed organ produced by the Wilcox & White Company of Meridian, CT. Established in 1877, Wilcox & White built a variety of pianos and organs during the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, but their specialty was player pianos and player organs. Wilcox & White was one of the first to produce a 'push up player' device to play ordinary pianos. This device was called the 'Angelus' and was essentially an external cabinet with felt covered 'fingers' that were pushed up to a piano keyboard. The device used a perforated roll and was operated by foot treadles, and was the forerunner of the traditional player piano of the early 20th Century.
The 'Symphony' Organ was a very complex instrument, and was well ahead of its time. It came in several different sizes and models, all of which are exceedingly rare today. After the turn-of-the-century, the firm manufactured more traditional player pianos under the 'Wilcox & White', 'Artrio-Angelus' and 'Vesper' brand names. Wilcox & White was out of business before the Great Depression era.
Symphony Organ Advertisements
19th Century Advertisements For The "Symphony" Self Playing Reed Organ, Built By Wilcox & White