The Stroud Piano Company was established in New York right after the turn of the 20th Century. A part of the illustrious Aeolian Corporation, Stroud pianos were predominately built as upright player pianos, labeled the "Stroud Pianola" for the Aeolian line. Stroud was sold along side Aeolian brand player pianos as an affordable alternative to the costlier Aeolian brand name, while offering comparable quality. Stroud pianos and player pianos were very well built, durable instruments. After the Great Depression hit in 1929, Aeolian began building small upright and baby grand pianos under the Stroud brand name. The Stroud name was discontinued with World War 2.