The firm of John Strohmenger & Son was established in London in 1835. Although Strohmenger was not as large as firms like Broadwood or Collard & Collard, the firm was quite successful and enjoyed a superior reputation as one of England’s finer manufacturers during the 19th and early 20thCenturies.
After building pianos for over 100 years, Strohmenger was sold to the illustrious Chappel Piano Company of London in 1938. During the late 1930’s and early 1940’s Strohmenger specialized in building pianos in avant-garde period case designs like Art Deco and futuristic modern styles. These instruments were often made of exotic wood veneers and finishes, making Strohmenger pianos some of the most desirable Mid-Century Modern pianos in today’s market.
Strohmenger pianos are quite rare here in the United States and are more commonly encountered in European countries. The Strohmenger name continued to be built and sold under Chappel’s guidance until about 1960.