The Stodart Piano Company of New York City found its roots among the illustrious firms of Adam Stodart, J.B. Dunham, and Horatio Worcester. In about 1834, the firm was first established at Stodart, Worcester & Dunham. Prior to 1834, Adam Stodart had been building pianos under his own name. Shortly after 1836, Stodart and Worcester withdrew, leaving Dunham as head of the firm. Dunham continued to build pianos under the names of 'Stodart', 'Dunham', and 'Stodart & Dunham' until about 1867, at which time Dunham's son joined the firm and the name was changed to 'Dunham & Son'. Worcester also continued to build pianos under his own name during the middle 19th Century after leaving the firm. During the 19th Century, these men built primarily square grand pianos.
In 1892 the 'Stodart Piano Company' was registered with trademark in New York City. The firm was located at Southern Boulevard and Trinity Avenue. The Stodart Piano Company built a full line of upright pianos and baby grand pianos, adding player pianos to their line after the turn of the century. By about 1910, the Stodart Piano Company was one of the largest makers of upright player pianos in New York City, and their pianos were distributed around the country. Stodart pianos were known to be very well made, durable pianos and were sold at affordable prices. By about 1920, The Jacob Doll Piano Company took control of Stodart. The Stodart Piano Company closed about 1931 due to the Great Depression.