The Charles M. Stieff Piano Company was established in Baltimore, Maryland in 1842. Charles M. Stieff had a fantastic reputation, and they built exceptional pianos. During the 20th Century, many dealers sold the Stieff Piano alongside of some of the most expensive piano lines as an affordable alternative. Stieff pianos are commonly referred to as 'the poor man's Steinway', and were often sold as a second line in higher end Steinway dealerships throughout the 20th Century. Charles M. Stieff pianos are consistently some of the finest pianos we see come through our restoration shop today. Sadly, Stieff closed operations and was liquidated in 1951.