Steinert & Sons
During the turn-of-the-century era, the Steinert name was well recognized in America's music industry at large. The 'Great House Of Steinert & Sons', headquartered at 162 Bolyston Street, had large retail stores in most larger New England cities during the pre-depression era. Established in 1860, the Steinert Piano Company was known for building some of the most well made pianos in American history, rivaling many of the more popular and expensive brand names in overall quality and tone.
In 1932 Steinert closed several stores and two factories in Leominster Massachusetts. After Alexander Steinert's death on November 15, 1933, Jerome Murphy, along with partners Robert Steinert and Alfred Prouty, acquired the company. Today the company, now owned by the Murphy family, serves New England from two retail locations, Steinert Hall at 162 Boylston Street Boston and the Natick Mall in Metro West Boston. The company now represents Steinway, Boston, Essex, Knabe and Roland pianos and Rodgers church organs.