James Steedman immigrated to New York City from Great Britain sometime around 1860, and began building pianos in this country in about 1863. Steedman is listed as being in partnership with John Dingle, forming the firm of Dingle & Steedman, in 1864. This partnership was dissolved by 1868 at which time Steedman went into partnership with Alexander Hollyer to form the company of Steedman & Hollyer. This partnership was dissolved in 1872. In 1873, Steedman admitted his sons William and Mark Steedman into partnership, forming the form of Steedman & Company. Steedman & Company went out of business in 1876. Steedman specialized in building better quality square grand and upright pianos, and his instruments are exceedingly rare today.