The Singer Piano Company was established in Chicago in 1884. The firm started out building better quality upright pianos and parlor organs, but their organ line was discontinued in the early 20th Century. Upright pianos and organs built by Singer during the late 19th Century and early 20th Century appear to be of very good quality based on the surviving instruments we see today come through our restoration shop.
Shortly after the 20th Century, The Singer Piano Company was absorbed into the large Steger Piano Company of neighboring Steger, IL. Steger continued operations until 1959, but it is unclear what year they stopped building pianos under the Singer brand name.
Singer Piano Company Advertisement
Early 20th Century Advertisement for the Singer Piano Company of Chicago