The Sherman & Hyde Piano Company was a part of the most successful music retailer on the West Coast. In about 1870, Leander S. Sherman purchased a large music retail store in San Francisco from a gentleman by the name of A. A. Rosenberg. Mr. Sherman was joined shortly thereafter by F. A. Hyde, forming the firm of 'The Sherman & Hyde Company'. During these early years, the firm was primarily a retailer and distributor of sheet music and musical instruments, including pianos and organs. There is record of a limited number of instruments being manufactured and sold under the 'Sherman & Hyde' name, but they are very rare today. This seems to indicate that pianos and organs built under the 'Sherman & Hyde' name were built in very limited quantity.
In 1876, E. C. Clay joined the firm and the name of the firm was changed to 'Sherman & Clay Company'. Sherman & Clay went on to be one of the largest and most successful musical instrument retailers on the West Coast, and they are still one of the largest and most prestigious music store chains in America today.