The Schumann Piano Company was established in 1847 in Illinois. Their early success and quick growth forced them to move to larger factories in Rockford, Illinois in 1903. Schumann built a full line of uprights, player pianos and baby grands, and they were quite popular in the early 20th Century. After the Great Depression, Schumann was sold to the Estey Piano Company, then later to Kimball. Today the Schumann name is still being produced in a line of Asian-imported pianos.