Born in Copenhagen in 1794, Emilius Nicolai Scherr grew up apprenticing in his father's piano and organ building factory. By the 1820s Scherr had made his way to Hamburg where he continued to apprentice with master piano and organ builders, honing superior skills which would serve him well in the new world.
E. N. Scherr sailed for American in 1822, settling in Philadelphia. E. N. Scherr's first piano manufactory is listed at 264 High Street, Philadelphia, later moving to 266 Chestnut Street from 1837 - 1854. As his business continued to grow, Scherr expanded once again to "George Below 10th Street" in 1855. E. N. Scherr subsequently retired late in 1855 and sold his company to "Birgfeld and Ramm".
Like so many other master piano builders, E. N. Scherr's firm was a small, family owned firm which produced instruments and a small scale hence their great rarity today. Surviving instruments by E. N. Scherr reflect the superior quality and craftsmanship his firm was known for. Instruments by Scherr are of museum caliber today and deserve the finest restoration and preservation possible.