The Schaff Brothers Piano Company was established in 1868 in Huntington, Indiana. By the turn-of-the-century, Schaff Brothers was building a full line of upright pianos and player pianos. Schaff Brothers was known as building very high quality, expensive pianos. By the late 1920's, Schaff Brothers was owned by the large Rudolph Wurlitzer Piano Company, and Wurlitzer managed to pull Schaff Brothers through the Great Depression era. Wurlitzer continued to produce pianos under the Schaff Brothers name until World War 2.