Carl Ronisch established his piano manufacturing firm in Dresden, Germany, in 1845. Ronisch was one of the first makers to use a full cast-iron plate that would support a high tension scale, a technique that was to be used in piano manufacturing throughout history by makers all over the world. In 1874, Ronisch opened a new factory in St. Petersburg, Russia, increasing European production considerably. Carl Ronisch died in 1893, and his sons Albert Ronisch and Hermann Ronisch took over the firm. Ronisch built pianos for Ludwig Hupfield for several years before consolidating with Hupfield in 1918.
Ronisch is one of the few illustrious piano manufacturers worldwide to have survived the 20th Century. Ronisch is still building pianos today in Leipzig, Germany.