Peter Provost (also spelled Provoost) was first listed as building pianos in New York City as early as 1830. In 1833, his firm was listed as being located at 7 York Street. In 1837, Provost exhibited one of his square pianos at the American Institute Fair, winning second place and a silver medal among several more established makers. Provost continued to build higher quality pianos with modest success through the 1840s, and the firm was awarded several patents for improved piano building. In 1852, Provost went into partnership with Alexander T. Pirsson, establishing the firm of Pirsson & Provost. There is no mention of Provost after about 1855.