William A. Pond (not to be confused with Ivers & Pond) established his business in New York City in 1871 after his successful participation in the earlier firm of Firth, Pond & Company. He manufactured pianos, organs, and various musical instruments such as woodwind, guitars, and band instruments. In addition, he was a publisher of sheet music and was apparently very successful. Pond manufactured and sold pianos under the names 'William A. Pond' and 'Empire'. It is also suggested in our archives that William A. Pond controlled the "United Piano Makers" Piano Company of New York during the last quarter of the 19th Century. The William A. Pond Company enjoyed a stellar reputation among pianists, singers, and musicians of the day, and his instruments were known for being of substantial quality and fair value. The extant William A. Pond pianos we have restored in our shop have suggested that his pianos were indeed of very good quality overall. Pond became affiliated with the United Piano Makers Piano Company after the turn-of-the-century. The firm was out of business well before the Great Depression.