The Packard Piano & Organ Company was originally established in 1871 as Packard Organ Company by Isaac Packard in Fort Wayne, Indiana. In 1879, Albert S. Bond joined the firm. Packard only built organs until 1893, incorporating pianos into their line in about 1894 and changing the name of the company to Packard Piano & Organ Company. They started out offering upright and baby grand pianos, adding player pianos in the first decade of the twentieth century. Packard was known for building very high quality pianos, and they were known for their frequent use of lavish woods and elegant cabinet design styles. In addition to the Packard brand name, the firm built pianos under the names of Bond Piano Company and Elsinger Piano Company. Packard managed to survive the Great Depression, but they were purchased by the larger Story & Clark Piano Company in 1938. Story & Clark continued to build pianos under the Packard name until the middle of the 20th Century.