Newby & Evans was established in 1882 in New York City. Newby & Evans was known for building especially good quality upright pianos. We have seen a couple of square grand pianos by Newby & Evans, but by the time Newby & Evans went into business the square piano was almost obsolete. Newby & Evans built a line of pianos under the brand name 'Monroe' as an affordable alternative to the costlier Newby & Evans brand name. Newby & Evans was associated with the National Piano Manufacturing Company after the Great Depression, and they continued to build vertical and grand pianos until 1942, going out of business with World War 2.